P.O. Box 294
Ukiah, CA 95482
NEXT MEETING: April 20, 2013
Steering Committe Members:
October 2009 Minutes
Minutes of the Ukiah Valley Democratic Club
The meeting was called to order by president Wendy Pollitz at 6:40pm. In attendance were president Wendy Pollitz, vice-president Katharine Cole, secretary Joelle Sumski, Betty Hook, Brent Lorenz, Doug Strong, Manny Aguilar, and Mike Canales.
Wendy stated that the purpose of the meeting was to brainstorm for the direction the club should take for the next year.
Current major club activities are the spring conference, to be held in April 2010; two fairs, one in August, the other in September; the annual Labor Day picnic; and support for Democratic candidates for office, including Candidates’ Nights, financial support, and fundraisers. Wendy cited the importance of reaching out to youth to increase club membership and attendance at meetings, events.
The following ideas were presented:• attracting young people who were involved in the OFA movement• organizing a Young Democrats club at the college and high school levels• using Twitter and other social networking tools• taking up causes popular with young people, e.g., the environment, net neutrality, an event on sex education to discuss birth control, offer condoms in a bowl (Claudia Prochter or Kristy Kelly might speak).
• offering high school and college internships to work with UVDC for either credits or a stipend (2@$500); Joelle questioned the use of so much of UVDC’s resources, in light of the need for money in 2010
• conducting voter registration drives at the high school and college (Joelle and Brent to investigate); increasing VR drives leading up to the 2010 elections• reaching out to church youth groups Wendy also noted that UVDC is looking for a new place to meet because the Chase community room will no longer be available after the first of the year. Some possibilities mentioned were Treble Music, the Rohrbaugh bldg., and Hopland Inn. Wendy then turned to newcomers Manny Aguilar and Mike Canales and asked them to describe what they do, with an eye toward collaborating with UVDC.
• Mike described his new night club and hofbrau, called Caught. He wants it to appeal to 18–24 year-olds and will hold special events for them. Security will be strong to avoid gangs and fights.
• UVDC could possibly have a table at such events with a VR component but also to join the club.
• Mike and Manny are concerned with the Native American youth, trying to keep them from drugs and alcohol. Caught would serve their needs as well. • Mike offered the use of Caught for future UVDC meetings.
• A Committee for Youth composed of Wendy, Joelle, and Mike was created to investigate further. Katharine Cole noted that we need to keep the Club connected to President Obama and his agenda. Joelle Sumski was asked to report on Organizing for America Mendocino, and she discussed current activities of tabling, phonebanking, and seeking to grow the group, as well as the health care forum held 10/14/09, which was very successful. It was decided that the UVDC newsletter will come out on the first of each month (though a bit later this month). It will be sent by email for the most part, but those without access to email will receive it via USPS. Wendy encouraged members to examine the CA Democratic platform by going to CA-dem.org and noted that the next Central Committee meeting is 11/18 at Willits City Council Chambers from 6:30–8:30. Anyone can attend. Wendy proposed a membership in the Chamber of Commerce, which would cost $175; Joelle spoke out in opposition. The vote was 3 in favor and one opposed, so the motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm. Next meeting Nov. 11, 2009.
| ©2008-2012 Ukiah Valley Democratic Club |